Monday, March 21, 2011

Guess what Miss Bella did yesterday?

My daughter and I were outside yesterday, visiting with the horses. I gave Miss Bella a scritchie and a hug. She stood behind me, wrapped her neck around me, lined her eyeball up with mine, then nuzzled my opposite hand.  It was all very sweet.  My daughter said to me "Mommy, do you think we can let Bella live with the other girls next weekend?"  I just said "Hmm, I'm not sure yet."  And what went through my mind was how Bella seems creaky, she doesn't move around much, the terrain is steep with lots of fist sized rocks that makes it difficult to even walk, and she really doesn't know the girls all that well yet.  My thoughts were of worry of her injuring herself running on the hill, or getting chased and tripping or twisting an ankle.  I then went about my business of shoveling the monumental task of cleaning up the last 5 months of frozen weather and many feet of snow packed manure.  A couple of hours later, as we put the Ranger and rakes away, the girls headed down the hill for dinner. And Miss Bella decided to CANTER downhill at warp speed, butt and nose tucked, and come to a screeching, sliding stop just in front of a huge few-hundred year old Oak tree.  My heart was in my throat for two reasons, one in awe of how she managed to canter down a steep hill over rubble-strewn terrain that she has only lived on for a few weeks, excitement that she is feeling that good and happy to do so, and terror that she run headlong into that tree!

But there you have it, she'll do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment